This was a very interesting and entertaining piece of verbatim theatre. Robin Soans is good at this stuff; we’d seen Talking To Terrorists at The Royal Court. It was probably this sole factor which encouraged us to book the play.
We were pretty much out of love with the Hampstead Theatre at this time; during the Anthony Clark era. Clark himself directed this one and did a decent job of it.
It was deservedly pretty well received on the whole by the critics:
- Philip Fisher in the British Theatre Guide liked it
- Michael Billington was less sure about it in the Guardian
- Ian Shuttleworth in the FT was similarly entertained but not wild about it
- Charles Spencer in the Telegraph was more impressed
- as was Paul Taylor in the Independent.