After my first international representative appearance for the MCC against the visiting Australians at Lord’s, Janie and I went on to the Curzon Mayfair to see the new Almodóvar movie, Julieta.
We thought it was an absolutely excellent movie; interesting story, beautiful cinematography, fine acting, the lot.
It has received very good reviews on the whole:
- Mark Kermode in the Guardian says “five star return to form”;
- David Sexton in the Standard says “astonishingly rich and bold”;
- Tim Robey in the Telegraph says “guilt soaked pleasure”;
- Geoffrey McNab in the Independent is also impressed, although describes the movie as a melodrama;
- …but clearly some critics didn’t like it – see Rotten Tomatoes here, where it scores north of 75% but doesn’t max.
I guess Almodóvar movies aren’t everyone’s style, but when he’s on form we love his movies. This one was just the ticket for us that evening, rounding off a thoroughly enjoyable day.