We had a wonderful trip touring Cambodia, Laos and then resting in Thailand in February 2001.
The photo albums on Flickr for this trip are divided into five albums, each with 60 to 100 photos (digitised from negatives). Each photo has a narrative, so this can be viewed as a photo journal of the trip. Each album has a click-through link below:
- Siem Reap Plus;
- Phnom Penh & Sihanoukville;
- Laos Part One;
- Laos Part Two;
- Southern Laos and Thailand.
The itinerary and Steppes East itinerary/resources for this trip are uploaded and can be clicked through below:
I kept a written log on this trip, as I have done for almost all of my overseas travel. Anyone keen to try and read it all is welcome to attempt deciphering my scrawl:
- several days visiting Anghor and other Siem Reap temples
- visiting some interesting sites off the beaten track near Siem Reap (Phnom Kulen, Kbal Spean, Banteay Srei) which we arranged as extras, together with thoughts on the difficulties we had arranging those extras;
- a ghastly journey by boat from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh
- a mysterious note about a restaurant encounter in Phnom Penh;
- a short trip to Sihanoukville;
- strange things a fortune teller told us when we returned to Phnom Penh;
- eccentric hotel with green taxi in Vientiane;
- an encounter with NCH cyclists in Luang Prabang;
- lovely guide Prasauth’s attempt to help me out on Valentine’s day;
- some mix ups over our flight tickets which we eventually solved without paying twice;
- amazing tribal village visits in Southern Laos (I might do a photos and words blog piece on this to combine those resources at some point);
- jumping the border from Laos to Thailand – written up – click here;
- wonderful relaxation at Baan Taling Ngam.